Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Is Listening a crucial component of your Leadership?

In my previous blog, I wrote about how important developing good listening skills are. Nearly every aspect of human life could be improved by better listening -- from family matters to corporate business affairs to international relations. Obviously there's a great deal more to being an effective leader than merely being "in charge."

Listening is a major element of a positive leadership strategy to maximize employee performance. If your leadership, either formal or informal, is important to you, ask yourself the following:
  • Do I pay much attention to listening? Am I paying much closer attention to what I am hearing, so that I do not drift away from it?
  • Do I ever "replay" conversations afterwards and think about whether or not I listened well? Am I internalizing the meaning of the words that are spoken?
  • What do I have to do to sharpen my listening skills? Am I getting better at listening? Am I listening full-force both when others speak to me and when I speak to them?
  • Do I make a deliberate effort (once a day...even once a week?) to practice empathic listening in order to get better at it? When was the last time I had an "AHA!" moment and finally got what was on somebody's mind?
  • Have I sought 360-degree feedback from co-workers, employees, bosses, clients, and suppliers? Was it recent enough to make it relevant feedback for the current situations and people I'm working with? Have I gained their trust that they can freely express their opinions?
  • Have I worked with a coach to help me listen to myself, listen to the people I work with, and figure out ways I can improve on my leadership skills under the present circumstances?


__________________________________
Surya M Ganduri, PhD. PMP. is the founder and president of eMBC, Inc., an international firm specializing in strategic and executive leadership development processes that Help People Succeed in an Evolving World. His company is dedicated to helping organizations and individuals manage strategic change, innovation, cultural transition, and goal achievement. Surya has over 26 years of business experience in management consulting, leadership development, executive coaching, process improvements, organizational development and youth leadership. Contact Surya ats6ganduri@eMBCinc.com. For more information, visit www.eMBCinc.com or contact eMBC, Inc., directly at (630) 445-1321.

No comments:

Post a Comment